The Gateway WA Perth Airport and Freight Access Project is the largest infrastructure project ever undertaken by Main Roads WA. This project involved a major upgrade to the road network surrounding Perth Airport and the freight and industrial hubs of Kewdale and Forrestfield.
Quickway was engaged to build 5 new bridges spanning 100m, bath structures 26m wide, abutment walls and continuously reinforced concrete pavement (CRCP). One of the key achievements on this project was the design and manufacture of 9m high steel pier forms. This expedited production and created a safer working environment for the installation of these piers. Another key achievement was the adjustment of truss screeds using a middle support rail to expand the screeds maximum span from 12m to 26m in order to complete project specific pours in one hit and complying with B80 specification.
Number of Bridges: 5 Single Span bridge
- 1 x 3 Span Overbridge – Bridge length 100m
- 1 x 2 Span Overbridge – Bridge length 60m
- 3 x Single Span Overbridges – Varying lengths up to 25m
Number of Bridge Construction Concurrently: 4
Type of Bridge: Overbridges
Type of Superstructure: T Roffs & precast planks
Type of Substructure: In-situ abutments walls faced with precast MSE panels on in-situ footing
Type of Parapets: Precast barriers with stitch pour
- Due to the abnormal geometry of the piers on 2 of the bridges, Quickway designed and manufactured steel forms by third party to ensure the level of concrete finish for this unique bridge was exceeded.
- Utilisation of truss screeds a first for pouring decks in WA to B80 specification.